Do you want to start a career in affiliate marketing but think to yourself can affiliate marketing make you money? In this article, we will address your query and also cover how much you can earn through it. Besides, we’ll also give you some of the most popular platforms where you can earn a generous commission.
Joining an affiliate program is easy but standing out in the high competition is hard. Obviously, you don’t want to make any mistakes at the start that might cause trouble in the long run. So without waiting, let’s deep dive into it!
What is Affiliate Marketing?
Affiliate marketing refers to promoting other products or services. When you promote them and generate sales, you get a commission. It seems easy but is quite challenging. Hence, many networks are working to bring marketers to the potential seller.
How Does Affiliate Marketing Work?
These affiliate marketing networks have a distinct method to track the sales by you. They give a particular referral link that you put on your website. The networks also track your sales through the link. When the visitors on your website clicks on the link and purchases the product, the platform notices it. After authenticating the transaction, they give you your commission.
Usually, the commission is based on a percentage of the product’s total price. But some platforms offer a fixed amount of commission. Whether your commission is a percentage of sales or fixed, the platforms track your earnings by purchases in cookie duration. Cookie duration is the time from when the customers land on the product page by following your referral link till they buy that product. If customers purchase within the cookie duration, you will earn your commission.
How Much Can You Earn Through Affiliate Marketing?
Coming to the frequently asked question, how can affiliate marketing make you money and how much? It all depends on the relevancy of the product, affordability, and most importantly, the traffic you have on your website.
According to Statista, the affiliate marketing spend in the US will reach up to $8.2 billion. So, if you divert the traffic to correct products, market them well, and get a flow of continuous sales, you can earn around $37,000 annually.
Leading Platforms of Affiliate Marketing
- Amazon Associates
Amazon Associates is the most popular affiliate network worldwide. It is easy to join, so you will find the tough competition on the platform. Their cookie duration is 24 hours. But the best thing is, you will get a commission if the customer purchases anything on the website after following your link.
ShareASale is another brilliant platform to start your affiliate career. It offers products from 4,500+ merchants that have different cookie durations. It opens up a wide range of different categories to promote.
- eBay Partner Network
eBay Partner Network is a versatile affiliate platform. Although you can promote only products from eBay listings, you still have many items. Moreover, you can even affiliate the used items and get commissions on sales.
Affiliate marketing has numerous perks that excite many people to choose it as an earning method. Some of them are listed below:
- You don’t need to manufacture, store, and ship any product for the customers, as you are just providing referrals to an already made item.
- You can work anytime and anywhere.
- All you need to do is market the product well. If you successfully convert your traffic into buyers with the content, you can have a steady income.
- It proves to be an excellent passive income source.
- The platforms usually offer low joining fees (or sometimes for free). So, you earn good money with little investment.
This industry also has some drawbacks.
- It always takes time to build up the sales and get a steady income flow.
- Carelessness in selecting the network may cost you a lot. You need to highly research the platform before joining.
- Affiliate hijacking is also an issue. It is a situation where companies don’t pay the commission to their marketers. Either they are fraudulent or have a poor tracking system to evaluate commissions.
- Selecting a bad one may cost your money and time. But what’s worse is, if they may leave a terrible user experience to the customers, resulting in loss of traffic.
- Even if you find a trustworthy program, the competition in this industry is too high. You will need to work hard to build up your reputation, dominance and authority.
Can Affiliate Marketing Make You Money In 2022?
Affiliate marketing is helping millions to earn a living. It is a side hustle for many online marketers, while others consider it a full-time job. Coming back to the question, can affiliate marketing make you money? The answer is yes!
Like others, you can also earn a handsome amount from it. Just stay determined, search for reputed platforms, give it your time, and work hard. Soon, you can be among the high-earning marketers.